Hello, guest
|
Name: leigh1
[ Original Post ]
Does any1 know what's the best way to get a 9 yr old to stay in his bed and sleep as my son has SEVERE ADHD and he is on concerta ive tryed relaxing him bath,story,music,lavender oils on the pillow ect and nothing seems 2 wrk has any1 any ideas please help as im desperate i feel im cracking up with it all as im up and down all night without a break
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: michellefarnham | Date: Sep 23rd, 2006 5:11 PM
Melatonin is an all natural sleep aid you can buy over the counter usually around 6.00 dollars. I have given it to my daughter before she was even diagnosed with adhd, a half hour before bed and they will be sleepy and go to sleep. I hope this helps, it has been very helpful with us, as we were where you were too. I feel your pain. Try the melatonin a half hour before bed. 

Name: Layne | Date: Sep 24th, 2006 3:10 AM
If melatonin doesnt work give him a mild over th counter sleep aid. My sone takes 2 every night. it was recomended by our doctor. all the stimulants are keepin him up. Concerta is a time release med as you probibly know. so give him the med he needs his rest and it will not hurt him. My son is 11. 

Name: Layne | Date: Sep 24th, 2006 3:11 AM
p.s. start with 1 pill then if that doesnt work go to 2. 

Name: AnnD | Date: Sep 25th, 2006 2:14 AM
The psychiatrists I work for recommend Benadryl in getting kids to sleep. Would it help him if he could watch TV or listen to music or a book on tape? Also, have you talked to the doctor about maybe changing the times that he takes his meds each day? 

Name: BrendansMom | Date: Sep 29th, 2006 11:25 PM
We have had trouble with our 5 year old his ENTIRE life. Can't sleep all night, gets up constantly. Our saving grace recently (recommended by our doctor) was Melatonin! All the best. Anytime you want to chat - [email protected] 

Name: parksmomof4 | Date: Sep 30th, 2006 11:29 AM
My son is also on Concerta and if meds. are taken too late he can not sleep as well. What time does your son take his meds.?? 

Name: jamberrt | Date: Oct 3rd, 2006 3:39 AM
I've recently learned that hot and sweet for ADHD kids before bed. I bought a "tension tamer" tea, add milk, and sugar and my little one has actually slept through the night every time I've given it to him. 

Name: FrazzledMom | Date: Oct 3rd, 2006 2:46 PM
Hi leigh1, my daughter is 10 and is on the same med. We started her on Risperdal to keep her in bed and asleep at night and it works. Its also supposed to help with behavior too during the day. 

Name: synthiastokes | Date: Oct 3rd, 2006 10:30 PM
My son who has ADHD had the same issue. He would stay up until all hours of the night. He was also on concerta. His dr. added a drug called Colnodine that he takes before bedtime. He falls sound asleep within an hour. Concerta is known to cause sleeplessness and ADHD children already have difficulty slowing down enough to sleep. This medication has been a tremendous help. Also, my son switched from concerta to the new Daytrana patch. I like it better than concerta. It only works while it is on the skin and this helps me better monitor his meds. 

Name: jamberrt | Date: Oct 6th, 2006 3:31 AM
My daughter is on concerta and risperdal. She has never been a great sleeper but we now give her the risperdal an hour before bed and it's better. 

Name: babyof mine | Date: Oct 9th, 2006 7:45 PM
Our son has ADHD and we have the same problem in the morning.Is this just happening in the am or at pm? For the pm our doctor prescribed Clonidine. It helps with the rebound effect from the ritalin, focalin, and metadate meds. It has a calming effect and makes him sleepy in the pm. Clonidine is a blood pressure reducing med, it has been around since the 60s. We still have the issue of him waking up before 7 am. But that seems to be getting better. Hope this helps! 

Name: azmomof3 | Date: Oct 10th, 2006 5:01 AM
the one thing I have noticed is that if taken late in the day, going to sleep at night is very challenging. My 10 year takes it right when he gets up in the morning and so he is usually coming down from his dosage late in the afternoon. We are then giving him a very small dosage of another prescription to wind him down slowly but keeps him in control until him going to bed!! You might also want to give it to him just before he goes to bed so when it goes into effect he is already asleep. Just an idea!!! 

Name: jamberrt | Date: Oct 11th, 2006 12:44 AM
babyofmine...how old is your little one...that sounds like a lot of meds! I was so against and yet I see how much it has helped.

My newest remedy..I think I posted earlier is warm tension tamer or chamomile tea with milk and a bit of sugar...makes me sleepy too! 

Name: servermomx2 | Date: Oct 11th, 2006 12:39 PM
Hi,
My daughter is on Daytana patch and I'm having so much trouble getting the backing peeled off that I'm not even sure if she is getting the full dose because it sticks to the backing--any suggestions?? 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us