Hello, guest
|
Name: domboots4
[ Original Post ]
Hi, my name is Juliet, my son is 5 years old.he has Pdd-nos and is non verbal. my son goes to school and was going to speech therapy . wich he had been on a waiting list for 2 years . I was so excited that he was going to finally get therapy and really hoped that he would talk .he was going to therapy 2 a week well ,into about a month in a half into his therapy his therapist told me he was not making any progress that well basically she didnt want to hurt my feelings but it was a waste of time . she had never had a child that was non verbal like my son.and she also believed that my son had apraxia.so after all this of course i get into my car and cry my eyes out it seems everyone gives up on my son . it is so frustrating !!!! My son understands alot .his therapist also believes he is not autistic . my son understands just about everything .the only thing is he his nonverbal is not pottytrained , he understands a little sign language but it is hard for him to sign himself he doesnt have the best hand cordination.does anyone have achild simialar to mine? if so I would appreciate any information .
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: DAD911 | Date: Nov 25th, 2006 6:07 AM
Juliet, I know it's hard but don't get discouraged. I had the same problem with my daughter. Persistance got the treatment my daughter needed. We were "rejected" by 4 Occupational therapists and 3 speech therapists before we finally convinced one to work with our daughter. We were also able to get her int an school program for autistic children. It's hard not to get emotional, but you are the voice for your child. You need to fight for what your child deserves and that's the best care available. As for the speech therapist, you're probably better off since they of all people, should know that it takes time and patience when you work with children with special needs. Have you tried the PECs program with your child. This is something my daughters school is working with her? This may help with your sons communication. If you have any questions please feel free to email me a [email protected] 

Name: jennmom1 | Date: Nov 25th, 2006 9:58 AM
Juliet,

My son used the pecs program as well; very useful before speech. Don't let one therapists inability to do her job correctly cause you so much pain. You get another therapist and another and another until you find the one that will help your son. My son was diagnosed at 15 months with autism and he didn't utter a word or even mimic a noise until he was 2 and a half and thats with therapy from the day he was diagnosed. After his first mimic of a sound, which was, by the way "O" for Open, he didn't actually start saying words until he was almost 3 and a half...and they came very slowly. But each new sound or word is wonderful; no matter how small. And your son will make progress too. Hang in there..and if you need any info. or just need to vent email me at [email protected] 

Name: pschaudt | Date: Nov 26th, 2006 1:03 AM
Hi Juliet. My son Ryan will be 5 in January. I just had his "main" speech therapist tell me that Ryan, too, has apraxia and will likely never speak. I bit my tongue and then went on the internet! There is a set of flash cards (Nancy Kaufman Praxis set) that his OTHER speech therapist has started using with him at school and she said he is showing progress, and they've only started about 3 weeks ago. My husband and I sobbed when we first heard he wouldn't talk, but at least now we have hope. I am going to use some of his disability money to purchase our own set of cards to use at home. What I'm trying to say is, don't just accept what someone tells you--God's plan may be different than theirs!! If, at the very worst your son doesn't speak, be thankful for what he CAN do. When things are tough some days, I think of parents whose children are dying of cancer, etc. Then I can handle what comes my way. BTW, my son isn't potty-trained either!!! 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us