Hello, guest
|
Name: stacie0710
[ Original Post ]
my name is stacie and my son gavin is possibly autistic. he will be 4 in march and i have been pushing for answers since he was 18 months old and first really noticed there was a problem. i had him evaluated and was told they wouldnt diagnose anything then because he was too young but he did have severe delays, mostly in speech. he was enrolled in developmental therapy and speech therapy and had several more evaluations where they would only tell me he was on the autism spectrum and definately had delays. finally i have him enrolled in a new school and he is showing improvment in many areas, except speech. every time he learns new words, he soon drops them and does more screeching and pointing than anything else. i finally had an evaluation done and will get the results tomorrow and even though i suspect he is autistic and have for a long time, and pushed and pushed and have been waiting for a diagnosis, i am still incredibly nervous about having it confirmed. has anyone else been through the wanting to know and not wanting to know?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: mush300 | Date: Jan 26th, 2010 12:44 AM
hi stacie, my name is mike and my son aiden is 3 with autism...they really should have given you more of an effort when he was younger to get a diagnosis..4 is an older age to start, but not impossible..have you ever noticed how he plays?..does he bring things to eye level, or line everything up?..those were some of the things my son did..hope to hear back from you...good luck 

Name: stacie0710 | Date: Jan 26th, 2010 1:18 AM
yes he holds everything close to his face, which i thought was because of his vision but now he has his glasses and still does it. he also lines everything up, and generally has to have everything perfect. i got the results of his evaluation back today and was told that the reason they have had trouble diagnosing him is because he is very complex and difficult to diagnose. but she told me that she had no questions about the fact that he was autistic. she just isnt sure right now how functioning he will be as an adult and told me only time will tell. 

Name: mush300 | Date: Jan 26th, 2010 3:49 AM
your best bet is to get the state involved right away..most states cover that...also it doesnt hurt to read up on the subjects, just remember to take everything with a grain of salt, they said my son would take a long time to talk , and its been 4 months at his new school...what a difference!!..we also did a free wrkshop which taught us how to do A.B.A therapy at home, big help..keep me posted 

Name: stacie0710 | Date: Jan 26th, 2010 4:03 AM
i am feeling overwhelmed right now at all the things they told me. thank you for the info... i feel like im lost and not sure where to go from here, so any guidance i can get is extremely helpful. 

Name: marijka | Date: Jan 27th, 2010 12:57 PM
hi stacie, my name is marijka and my son stanley will be 3 in august. i have just found out today that he has autism. stanley had the same probs as gavin,as in he would say a few words, then never say them again, and screeches and uses pointing as a need rather then to share an experience. i had my suspisions he was autistic after a health visitor mentioned it to me last year, as he used to rock and flap his hands a lot and of course the lack of speech. i kept ringing my health visitor and she eventually refered me to a speech therapist who confirmed my fears. as he is so young there isent a lot that can really be done as they are not sure where on the spectrum he is so apart from reviewing him every 6 months and refering him for regular speech therapy i do feel i bit useless, im just glad i didnt give up as it might not have been diagnosed this early and hes now on the system. i think deep down i always knew it was autism and im still trying to get my head around what autism actually is. but it is a relief to know so that me and my partner can try to understand it and make stanleys life a bit easier. its more common then i thought too x 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us