Hello, guest
|
Name: Randi
[ Original Post ]
Ok, My son is 6 weeks old now, and I have had trouble from the start nursing. He was tongue tied when he was born and it took 3 days for them to find that out. He shredded my nipples so badly he was spitting up blood. The nurses told me to nurse though it and that the pain would end. I pumped and supplemented with formula when it got too sore. Everytime I asked for help I would get told that his latch was perfect.
He was sick a few weeks ago and hospitalized. They discovered that as well as the virus he had, he had thrush. I had no symptoms, but was treated anyway and told it would help with my nipple soreness and painful letdown (signs of thursh I guess). The medication they gave me didn't help, but since his was cleared I painted myself with Gentian violet for a few days. No relief. I was just about to give up but decided to go see a Lactation Consultant with the La Leche League. They examined me and watched him feed. The doctor was called and I was told that I most likely have Primary Raynauds disease in my nipples due to nerve trauma from a poor latch. I was told to continue taking advil and to start applying heat and a special cream for pain. They also suggested that I stop breastfeeding (whether I pump, or formula feed) because he seems to not be able to open his mouth wide enough. I have tried nipple shields, I take advil and apply heat, I latch him as best he and I can. I really do not want to stop breastfeeding him. Sometimes it is the only thing that will calm him and I love the closeness. I hate not being able to hold him against my chest b/c my boobs are so sore, or resenting him for wanting to be fed. Does anyone have any experience with this, or suggestions?

Sorry it's so long.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: bmes | Date: Jan 25th, 2007 5:39 AM
yikes...that's too bad...don't really know what to say! it sounds as if you tried your hardest and that's all you can do. if you can pump so he gets some breastmilk that would be ideal. I know, the closeness is something that i definately miss with my daughter too. good luck to you...sorry i couldn't help....never heard of that Raynauds disease before. 

Name: lizset | Date: Jan 26th, 2007 10:45 PM
I had thrush issues too and baby and i got treated with nystatin. At one point i had very painful nipples and much difficulty breastfeeding.... i took a break from feeding baby and pumped on the days i could not bear her sucking.I used the medella double pump and be careful not to pinch anywhere near nipple cos the suction will hurt more and put it at the slowest setting initially. i used moisturising cream after pumping and let my nipples air at night.. may sound funny but it helped me . i,m not sure if it will work for you it may help abit.. dont have much info on raynauds dse. meanwhile continue trying to latch the best you can. it gets better with time both the pain and the latching.you may wanna continue visit with lactation consultant . .this is just a suggestion.. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us