Hello, guest
|
Name: red87
[ Original Post ]
I have a little issue with breastfeeding...

My daughter is 3 weeks old today and she used to eat for 20 minutes each feeding, although she was half asleep most of the time and it wasnt 20 minutes of continuous sucking...but for the past 3-4 days she has only been eating for 10 minutes at a time then she is out like a light and when I do get her to wake up she isnt interested in eating, I am worried she isnt getting enough!

Because i was worried I thought I would pump and see how much she would take and she takes about 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours. So I have been trying to mostly pump during the day so that I know she is getting enough. Pumping is kind of a pain so I wanted to know if her only feeding at the breast for 10 minutes every 2 hours is ok, and is she getting enough? Or should I continue pumping?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: mamal | Date: Aug 6th, 2008 1:05 AM
Sounds like baby is perfect. I would stop pumping (unless you are looking to store). There is no need and it can actually negatively effect your supply. Continue to feed baby at the breast on demand and no need to look at the clock. Also know that what you pump is not an indicator of what baby gets. Baby is a much better at getting the milk out so it is normally more and sometimes a lot more than what you pump. In the beginning baby will suck constantly and then it levels off for a bit. Don't be alarmed when she goes back to the constant sucking again because all that is is her building your supply for the next growth spurt. No need to worry! Trust your body! You are doing GREAT!! 

Name: LindsayK | Date: Aug 6th, 2008 12:45 PM
Mamal is right. I used to worry about this with Gabriella too. If she's sucking for less time it's probably just that she is getting better at getting more out of the breast in less time. As long as she continues to gain weight at Doctor's appt.s and not lose any, then don't worry a bit. Congrats on your new little girl!!! 

Name: red87 | Date: Aug 6th, 2008 5:24 PM
Thank you both!

Mamal you are very encouraging! I have decided to stop the pumping. I think I only did it because it was easier for me, but I have stopped now.

Mamal - My doctor told me that breastfed babies need Vitamin D drops but when I give them to Brooke she spits it all out and then she vomits quite a bit shortly after. I thought maybe if I just pumped one bottle a day that I could put the drops in there but she wont take the bottle if she can taste the drops. Even in a 4 oz bottle she can taste it.

Any suggestions on how I can get her to take it? Or do you think it is needed? Did you give them to your LO while you were nursing? 

Name: lisasing | Date: Aug 7th, 2008 1:41 AM
Looking for a safer and easier way to meet other single parents ? Just join the largest single parent community www.soloparentdate.com for free. 

Name: mamal | Date: Aug 7th, 2008 1:46 AM
Absolutely no need to give the drops, as long as you don't live in a cave. Vitamin D is received into the body naturally through sunlight. As long as you sit near or in the sun for a bit each week baby will be perfect. Oh and I am not talking go outside, inside through a window works perfectly. I never gave LO any vitamin drops because my guy hated them to. We lived in AZ and I often sat in the couch by the window to feed. I love that sunsoaked feeling.
Here is an article that will put your mind at ease. Dump that yicky crap!
http://www.kellymom.com/nut
rition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

I
am glad that you are doing so well! It truly is some of the best moments between mama and baby. Anytime you need encouragement or help I am more than happy! 

Name: luvmygrbabys | Date: Oct 4th, 2008 7:17 PM
Help----we are desperately trying to find someone who has had trouble with her milk not coming in. No engorging, no let down. Really want to be successful at nursing but I can't find anyone who can help me. most moms engorge but not me. 

Name: bennetth | Date: Oct 4th, 2008 11:05 PM
when you pump you are not emptying your breasts completely so the amount that you get is not how much she is really getting from the breasts . The baby suckling will get most of the milk out. She is the best pump If she goes to sleep when shes eating undress her and keep the room cool that should keep her up. I had the same problem and thats what my doctor told me. 

Name: mamal | Date: Oct 5th, 2008 2:01 AM
luvmygrbabys~ What is the problem? Not feeling engorged or feeling let down does NOT mean you are without milk. 

Name: JeuneMaman | Date: Aug 4th, 2009 1:48 AM
If she is gaining enough weight I wouldn't be concerned. If she was that hungry she would remain awake and continue sucking. I have a six month old and was worried about the same thing but when I took her to the doctors they had no concerns and practically begged me to continue breast feeding because of the many benefits. However if you take her to the doctors and there has not been enough weight gain I would consider pumping all the time and maybe even supplementing with a little formula... Even if you mix it in with the breast milk, however that is not really recommended. 

Name: Mandie72 | Date: Aug 12th, 2009 10:13 PM
Some babies nurse for less time as they get older and are nursing better. Asking yourself these questions can help.

Is she wetting at least 6 to 8 very wet diapers?

Do you hear her swallowing milk?

Does she pause nursing to swallow? (This shows she is getting milk).

Is her complexion normal?

Is her mouth and lip moist and not dry?

Is she gaining weight?

If she doesn't seem to be responsive as usual, I'd have her Ped check her out, just to be sure. She could just be coming down with a cold or just more settled, but it's important to have it checked out. 

Name: RebeccaCirco | Date: Sep 20th, 2009 7:42 PM
Hey! 10 minutes every two hours is great. She's definitely getting enough or she'd be crying. Pumping is good to have a backup supply but no need to do it everyday. I started a blog for nursing moms called breastcafe.com to share my funny nursing stories! 

Name: laurenspencer | Date: Jan 27th, 2011 2:44 PM
My daughter was born 6 weeks early and I stated feeding her with a 10 cc syringe and that was all that she would take every two hours and then my dr said that as long as she was getting some milk she was doing just fine. She also said that if she didn't wake during the night, that it was fine and to start each morning over, so I went to three hour feedings and after about three weeks she finally started sucking my breast for 15 minutes at a time on each breast. She was an expert at 6 weeks, so now she still sleeps through the night and the morning feeding is the best, when she is the thirstiest and mommie needs milking, I also pump after each feeding. I plan to nurse until she is two years old and want to continue to pump until she is 4 years old so she can have my milk for nourishment, I am only 23 years old. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us