Hello, guest
|
Name: Kristy84
[ Original Post ]
I was wondering what y'all, well the girls in the states, thought about WIC. I have heard that many women, inlcuding higher income families, join this program. I was considering joining; I mean come on $4 for a gallon of milk. My fiance makes a fair amount of money, but every little bit counts. Your input would be appreciated. Also, if I do join how far in advance should I sign up. I'm 19 weeks along. Thanks!!
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: babygirl26 | Date: Jul 24th, 2006 11:11 PM
hey Kristy,
I am also going to try and get on the wic program. I am 35 weeks pregnant, but am still living at home w/ my parent's and since I"m only 16, I am based off their income,and they make to much money, but when I move out and have her, I am only going to be on my boyfriend's income(and be a full time student in college).....you can apply at anytime I think, because they do have a waiting list...... and it could take them a while to get you in. They may give you peanut butter, milk, and cheese before your baby is born, and then formula for the baby when it is born. 

Name: Shan5472 | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 12:29 AM
I was on it with my first two children and it helped ALOT!! But, then with our 3rd and 4th my husband (i stay at home) made too much money!! Like $19 a month too much to qualify!! Which is sooo silly in my opinion.. I could understand if he made over $100 too much but not that little bit. Anyhow, check the web for more infor.. You can sign up now and they will give you food to help nourish your pregnant body and when the baby comes then they give you formula and when the baby is older they give milk, cereal, cheese, peanut butter... Check your area and go sign up it helps alot!!
Best Wishes!
Shannon EDD 2/15/07 

Name: nicole jones | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 12:45 AM
I was planning on signing up for WIC also, because everyone I talked to said that nearly anyone qualifies, but I just checked it out and the limit is something like $1,200 every two weeks. Unfortunatly we're over that by quite a bit, so I don't qualify. That really sucks though, because babies are expensive and it would really help. Oh well. There are those that really truly need it more. I was a little bummed though. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 4:10 AM
Actually depending on your household income actually depends on whether or not you qualify. I am not really sure what you mean by higher income families. If a higher income family is on WIC it is because of the number of family member to that income. My husband actually make to much for us to qualify for this program.

However, my sister is on this program. I actually think this is a wonderful program, especially if you need it. 

Name: Marcella | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 4:23 AM
I learned about WIC through my hollister appointment when I was about one month pregnant. I was trying to get an appointment but their line is always busy, finally I got through and now I am waiting for August 14 to meet up with one of the personel that will help me get into the program, I'll be almost 5 months by then, but yea...it's worth it because you'll have more money and food to nourish yourself and feel more comfortable about knowing that your growing baby is getting what he/she needs. I am struggling financially because the father left me because he wasn't ready to be responsible. It will help me a lot though. 

Name: Melissa | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 6:19 AM
you can be on wic before you have your baby. i got on the wic program when i was about 25 weeks i think. you get milk, eggs, cheese, beans, juice, tuna, peanut butter and carrots. if you decide to breastfeed once the baby comes they will keep giving you coupons for the food but if you formula feed they help out with the price of formula and you stop getting the food. also they give you coupons for baby cereal and baby juice, once they are old enough of course. 

Name: ARMANISMOM | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 7:51 AM
I dont know what state you guys live in but I have never heard of a waiting list. When I am working I make approx $3000 a month and still qualify for myself and 2 kids. I get 12 gallons of milk 4 boxes of cereal 4 dozen eggs 4 lbs of cheese both dry beans and peanut butter and 12 frozen juices. 

Name: nicole jones | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 7:57 AM
We live in Washington. We make like $4,500 ... I think the monthly limit for two people (well, 3 if you count the baby) is $3,000 or $3,500. 

Name: Sarah M | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 2:33 PM
WIC is so great especially if your gonna bottle feed cause formula is off the roof price wise. My daughter had to be on Nutramigen which was 22$ a can so thank god I had that and I will get it again when my new lil guy is born. 

Name: mommyagain | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 4:56 PM
Here in Illinois thye only count my income, even though me and Jay live together we are not married and I still pay half of everything. It is a life saver especially for formula. you can sign up the day you find out you are pregnant and it will last until the baby is 5 years old. 

Name: Angela1 | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 5:25 PM
I also had to have my daughter on Nutramigen Sarah. Thats crazy. But we didnt qulify at the time so we had to buy it. But my doctors office was pretty cool and they always gave us a ton of free sample cans. But let me tell you it still wasnt enough. Then I got pregnant and so I was able to claim a household of 4. So I was able to get it. Let me tell you it helps so much! But my husaband got a raise this month and so we no longer quilify. We are going to miss it. i wishe they didnt ask how much we make!! But hey what can you do.!! 

Name: Sarah M | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 5:25 PM
They only count married income in Utah as well and since im not married im safe cause im a stay at home mom lol 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 6:18 PM
If you live with the father and are not married then they will only take in account your income because your legally considered a single mother according to the state. WIC qualification will vary from one state to another because of the cost of living. Each state living cost are completely different. So where in one state you only qualify if you make $1200 every two weeks in another state it could be a little higher. It all based on cost of living in the state that you are in as well as how many people (Adults and children) are living off that income. 

Name: Shanna | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 6:41 PM
I'm definitely going to try out for it too. 

Name: mommyagain | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 8:41 PM
Its one of those things when I firmly believe it is there so use it. I am definitly against welfare moms who just refuse to work and smoke crack all day but the rest of us who earn our living and its just not enough I believe we deserve some help if it is there. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 25th, 2006 10:07 PM
Oh I agree mommyagain. I too believe that if the programs are out there and you qualify absolutely use them. I think it ashame however that there are alot of people on these programs because they choose not to work, where as several of us who currantly do not qualify struggle to take care of our family with the money that we do have. 

Name: Renee_Miracle | Date: Jul 27th, 2006 1:39 AM
You think $4.00 is expensive for one gallon of milk??? Try spending $4.19 for one little can of formula? Kristy, I am so glad I nolonger have to drink milk, and I probably will not...no, not probably, but I will not be buying any until my baby turns twelve months. She is sixteen weeks now, but the price of formula will kill you. I could use WIC myself, but I'm sure we're over income.

I don't know how far along you can sign up, but the people I knew who had WIC started very early. I guess you should call the company. 

Name: Layne | Date: Jul 27th, 2006 2:41 AM
go for it formula is a fortune 

Name: babey_g_311 | Date: Jul 27th, 2006 2:56 AM
Im on WIC and I think its a great program...not only because they give you free stuff but when you come in for visits *and ur preggers* they do stuff like check your iron in your blood and generally just make sure your healthy, they gave me free subscriptions to some baby magazines and lots of healthy eating tips, the free stuff does help too....its a great program if you can Id definately join....I did when I was like 9 or 10 weeks I think. 

Name: lyric123 | Date: Jul 27th, 2006 12:47 PM
yes iam 21 weeks with a little girl and i sign up its great to contact me my email is [email protected] 

Name: ladyblueblood | Date: Jul 27th, 2006 11:32 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm nagging or getting onto a soapbox here, but WIC is not just for people who want to save a buck at the grocery store both before and after the baby. WIC is intended for pregnant women and young children who, otherwise, if not for the program, may be at risk of not getting the nutrition they need due to low income. It's very limited on what you can get on WIC while pregnant (pray that you like Mini Wheats and block cheeses), but from my first pregnancy, I can tell you that it certainly does help when it comes to buying baby formula. Of course, the nutrition counselor at your local health department will nag you to no end about breast feeding. If you think that buying formula for your baby, or that purchasing nutritious food for yourself is putting a hurt on your finances, as in, you're having trouble paying your bills or putting gas in your car, then by all means, go and apply for it, but in your state if the people living in your household happen to make a certain amount of money that is above the poverty standards for WIC, expect to be turned down after having to sit and wait for an appointment. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 28th, 2006 3:31 AM
I agree with you 100% ladyblueblood. I think my sister gets cheerios as one of her option for cereal and not like honey nut cheerios but the original, no sugar added cheerioes. 

Name: ladyblueblood | Date: Jul 28th, 2006 3:49 AM
I think the only things I get are.. well, maybe Cheerios but I don't know how many cardboard tasting O's I can choke down. I either get Honey Bunches of Oats or Mini Wheats, seeing they're about the only ones with flavor. A few years ago they used to allow for Raisin Bran, but they stopped that one. I wish I knew more recipes for cheese, eggs, peanut butter, milk, beans, cereal, and juice. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 28th, 2006 4:05 AM
I actually found out what my sister got through WIC because she had made her appointment when she was out of work. So by the time her appointment arrived she had a job and couldn't get off. She actually says that some of the stuff like peanut butter she gets to much off. I told her to let them know because they had actually told me to let her know to let them know (this make sense right) if she needs more of something or less of something. I think as far as cheese goes, she is allowed to get singles but not the individually wrapped one but I also know that she gets blocked cheese. I told her to get a cheese grater. 

Name: tylersmom06 | Date: Jul 28th, 2006 5:00 AM
I just wanted to add one thing. However WIC is mainly income based, I was over the limit after returning to work after having my son but he still qualified because he had low iron level. The nutrionist can approve you for WIC for a number of problems such as low weight, over weight..anyway I just wanted to add that little bit. Also I didn't know there were places that have waiting lists.. it seems here in Alabama anyone can walk in a get approved...or at least I guess I should say there is no waiting list! 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 28th, 2006 5:01 AM
No waiting list in Wisconsin either 

Name: ladyblueblood | Date: Jul 28th, 2006 11:09 PM
Both times I've had to go apply for WIC, I walked in and had to make an appointment to come back. Of course, I live in sort of a small town in Tennessee. (If'n you know where Dolly Parton is from... there it is.) The appointment was generally in just a couple of days, so there was no terribly long wait to get on WIC. Our Health Department here is just severely understaffed most days of the week.

But yeah, you do get entirely too much of some things and certainly not enough of others. A reminder though... this food is intended for YOU, the pregnant woman, not your entire household. I can't take down 3 gallons of milk in 2 1/2 weeks though, even with help from my husband. And I'm well stocked on peanut butter. I generally skip getting the eggs because it's just one of those things that turns my tummy anymore. I wish we could get an extra box of cereal, sometimes. I generally go through the apple juice pretty well, too. You get a choice of Deli-Deluxe singles (quite delicious) or block cheeses, which I adore having on some wheat thins before bed. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Jul 29th, 2006 1:33 PM
Yeah you need to have an appointment with WIC you can't just walking and have a meeting.

I am not sure how WIC works where you are from but my sister is able to add or subtract items on her WIC program should she use more of one thing and less of another. She too is pretty well stocked up on peanut butter. I'm not even on WIC and seem to be stocked with peanut butter. If there's a sale and I have a coupon I pick it up because some months I go through tons of peanut butter between my husband and my son and other time I don't so I just play it safe. My sister also goes through the juice pretty quick as well. 

Name: Melissa | Date: Jul 29th, 2006 3:23 PM
i really don't understand why they do give you so much peanut butter, especially when your really not supposed to eat alot of it when your preg. and your not supposed to eat it when your breastfeeding. that doesn't make sense to me. they should give something else instead. 

Name: ladyblueblood | Date: Jul 29th, 2006 3:27 PM
They allow you to get dried beans or peas in lieu of peanut butter, and it's majorly so you get a lot of protein. You don't have to get peanut butter, but the size of beans/peas they allow you to get is so small that it wouldn't even make enough for a few good meals. The peanut butter is the better deal... if you eat it often enough. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us