Hello, guest
|
Name: zoey9810
[ Original Post ]
Top 10 Money Drains
Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's easy to fritter away money on daily expenses. If you fall into these money traps, learn to avoid them and pocket the savings.

1. Coffee 6. Car washes
2. Cigarettes 7. Weekday lunches out
3. Alcohol 8. Vending machines snacks
4. Bottled water 9. Interest charges on credit cards
5. Manicures 10. Unused memberships

1. Coffee -- According to the National Coffee Association, the average price for brewed coffee is $1.38. There are roughly 260 weekdays per year, so buying one coffee every weekday morning costs almost $360 per year.

2. Cigarettes -- The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids reports that the average price for a pack of cigarettes in the United States is $4.54. Pack-a-day smokers fork out $1,660 a year. Weekend smoker? Buying a pack once a week adds up, too: $236.

3. Alcohol -- Drink prices vary based on the location. But assuming an average of $5 per beer including tip, buying two beers per day adds up to $3,650 per year. Figure twice that for two mixed drinks a day at the local bar. That's not chump change.

4. Bottled water from convenience stores -- A 20-ounce bottle of Aquafina bottled water costs about $1. One bottle of water per day costs $365 per year. It costs the environment plenty, too.

5. Manicures -- The Day Spa Magazine Price Survey of 2004 found that the average cost of a manicure is $20.53. A weekly manicure sets you back about $1,068 per year.

6. Car washes -- The average cost for a basic auto detailing package is $58, according to Costhelper.com. The tab for getting your car detailed every two months: $348 per year.

7. Weekday lunches out -- $9 will generally cover a decent lunch most work days. If you buy rather than pack a lunch five days a week for one year, you shell out about $2,350 a year.

8. Vending machines snacks -- The average vending machine snack costs $1. Buy a pack of cookies every afternoon at work and pay $260 per year.

9. Interest charges on credit card bills -- According to a survey released at the end of May 2007, the median amount of credit card debt carried by Americans is $6,600. Rate tables on Bankrate.com indicate that fixed interest rates on a standard card average 13.44 percent. Making the minimum payment each month, it will take 250 months (almost 21 years) to pay off the debt and cost $4,868 in interest. Ouch!

10. Unused memberships -- Costhelper.com reports that the monthly service fee at gyms averages between $35 and $40. At $40 per month, an unused gym membership runs $480 per year.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: kimber | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 3:16 AM
The only ones I have to worry about is my husbands lunches and the gym membership. However, we did go to the car wash once this month and it was $8. But we try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week, plus they have free daycare. 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 3:20 AM
same here with the Gym we use it, my hubby is a gym Freak! like every day.. well that is when hes still home!! and the daycare i use it when i go too.

as for car washes, we have had this car for a year and a half, and its only been in one car wash, and thats because it was for free LOL 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 3:22 AM
2. Cigarettes -- The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids reports that the average price for a pack of cigarettes in the United States is $4.54. Pack-a-day smokers fork out $1,660 a year. Weekend smoker? Buying a pack once a week adds up, too: $236.

3. Alcohol -- Drink prices vary based on the location. But assuming an average of $5 per beer including tip, buying two beers per day adds up to $3,650 per year. Figure twice that for two mixed drinks a day at the local bar. That's not chump change.

i need to tell my stupid MIL these ones, because she complains how she couldn't afford to send her son a Birthday card, or afford to make a 2 min phone call to call her only son who's in a different country on his birthday

she pisses me off to no end! 

Name: bmes | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 3:32 AM
4.54 for a pack of smokes???? HOLY CRAP!!!!! it's about $8.00 for a pack of smokes here!!!!! 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 3:37 AM
This is so true. When I was working I did not understand how we were still short on $$ Then I added up what I spent on meals at the hospital cafe and in the vending machines a couple of times a night. Really adds up!! Wish now I would have saved more back then!! 

Name: marija | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 3:55 AM
i buy coffee probably once every 2 months
(i buy more lollies than that...hahahahahaha)

$13.00 for cigarettes here :-(

alcohol....hubby makes a dent there...LOL

i dont buy water....i bought a filter for my tap...tastes the same to me....in melbourne the water is so nice just from the tap?!?!?

manicure???....what the hell is that!

ditto for car wash...LOL
mine is called a bucket of water, a rag and the vaccuum cleaner

i dont have credit cards for that very reason....for the past 12 years i have used a debit card...the best thing out there :-)

as for a gym membership....are those the places that have all those black and chrome shiny objects in them....hahahahahahaha

ive just saved a crap load of money...hahahahahahaha 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 6:25 PM
I'm currently considering getting a new credit card.........this may have just changed my mind! Thanks! : ) 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 6:26 PM
marija is that $13 a pack? If so YIKES!!!!!!!!! 

Name: momo | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 6:30 PM
i pay 6.00 for a pack of ciggarettes..
bf has one credit card, but we dont use it anymore, just paying it off
We go out and drink alcohol once a month or every two months lately and our tab with a cab us usually about $70.00..

the water is what kills me..and it just went up to $8.00 for a pack of 24 bottles and we buy 5 of them a week, but we try to get them on sale..you can not drink the water here or youll gt kidney stones 

Name: bmes | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 6:31 PM
i just drink water from a tap....all tastes the same to me 

Name: momo | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 6:36 PM
our tap water is no no good..high amounts of clorine and minerals 

Name: Ashley Dawn | Date: Aug 23rd, 2007 6:43 PM
my hubby spends probably about $3.50 - $4.00 on a pack..but he usually buys them by the carton..which is about $25.00 a pop.

and about lunchs...i gave him $40.00 monday for lunch through the week...he's gone through it already...what the heck?? he'll stop at stores here and there and buy a pack of crackers and a drink, THEN lunch. he goes through money like water around here!! 

Name: marija | Date: Aug 24th, 2007 1:07 AM
yup lizzi 13 bucks per pack of 30....oouch!!!! 

Name: Mando | Date: Aug 25th, 2007 6:32 AM
NO MONEY WHAT SO EVER JOIN AND SEE FOR YOUR SELF

You shouldn't pay anyone to start making money and work from home

GO TO : http://www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/23144

ANY ?'S Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us