Hello, guest
|
Name: mommymichelle
[ Original Post ]
I have a 6 yr old daughter with ADHD, and I just don't know where else to turn. My daughter started out on Adderall at 5, with minor side effects. She was very emotional and wouldn't sleep. Once she turned 6 we switched her to Concerta. Well after a few months on Concerta she lost weight, won't eat, won't sleep and has developed high blood pressure. Anyway, we have taken her off the medication. I really would rather deal with the behavior problems, than have my baby suffer health problems. Well now I am getting emails about her behavior from her teacher and I just feel so confused. I feel trapped, like I am damned either way. Does anyone have any advice?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: Katlang | Date: Oct 22nd, 2010 5:21 AM
My advice would be to try different kinds and doses of medication until you find the one that works the best without such severe side effects. I went through this same thing with my son (who is 16 now). We went through alot of different medications and it seemed like it would take forever to find one that really did what they kept telling me it was supposed to do. The one I found that worked the best on my son when he was little (from the age of 5 until he was 14) was Dexidrine...it is an older medication...but we have tried some of these "newer, better" ones-they cost 4 times as much and didn't seem to work any better-and had more severe side effects. Keep working at it-it's not like you have a time limit because it's something you are going to have to deal with all the way through school ...I hate to be the bearer of bed news-but this doesn't get any better on it's own. Left untreated the things are only going to get worse. The school work is going to get harder and the learning more difficult. Without being able to focus on what's going on long enough to take notes or study for a test or remember things from one day to the next, or worst of all, being a social outcast from her peers...she will learn to hate school. And just remember-maybe YOU can deal with the behavior problems, but she is the one that will have to deal with all the issues that come with having ADHD without any kind of help. Also, if your daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD I suggest going to the school and having them put her on the "504 program". That way when there are outbursts in the classroom they have to have a plan in place that will help your daughter get herself under control...plus a lot of other things they can help with once she is in that program. Don't give up yet-you have a long way to go to fight for your child. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us