|
Name: Atomic Snowflake
[ Original Post ]
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: KathyK | Date: Sep 7th, 2007 6:04 PM
Atomic Snowflake,
Your description of your son sounds exactly like my son. He is very argumentative as well. He fights us on everything and to do everything. He will fight us to get dressed, eat breakfast, brush his teeth and get ready for school on a daily basis. He also has very loud behavior, very abusive, very physical, is also very active and hyper. He is also doing good in school as long as he is focused he is better. He has had no problems so far in his new class and I am hoping that continues. The bad behavior is definitly at home with his dad, sister and me. He is not always nice to his friends either so it is hard for him to keep friends which makes me sad for him.
He is currently on Focalin and Depakote and Risperdal at night to help him sleep. My son also says he can't help being naughty, and I really think he can't. I think he really doesn't mean to be this way but he doesn't know how to not be this way, it is really sad.
It is exhausting and frustrating and a 24/7 thing. It never goes away and takes up all of your time. I totally understand how you feel and wish it would stop.
Keep sharing your feelings and frustrations and it will help to at least get it all out. 

Name: Jennifer | Date: Sep 7th, 2007 11:05 PM
Sounds just like ODD! My son was diagnosed at four as well. Sometimes you just "know" when your child isn't like everyone elses..... trust your instincts! There is a checklist you can look at and if you say "yes" to a percentage of the questions then they suggest you see your pediatrician. I would suggest seeing a psychologist, that is the route we took and he was absolutely wonderful! Do a google search on ODD checklist/behaviors/symptons and see if you can find something. Kathy is right- this never goes away. You and your family just find ways to deal and cope and you learn what strategies work best for your child. Medication will help if you are open to that. Best of Luck! 

Name: sandra | Date: Sep 9th, 2007 12:28 AM
I have an 8 year old and this sounds exactly like my story. My son does things like: rearrange the furniture, take the legs of the furniture, take the knobs off the doors, removes the light bulb out of the fixtures, hang off his celing fan, climbs out the windows, cusses, lies, he stays up all night, repeats things until I can't take it anymore. My son was diagnosed with adhd and odd. Let me tell you my life is a living hell. I feel like an abused wife, the only thing is i'm single. 

Name: Jennifer | Date: Sep 12th, 2007 12:26 AM
Sasha: I am rolling at your SNOT acronym. That's great and sounds so real!!!

Sandra: one thing you can do for you is to get on here and vent to other people who understand what you are going through. The moms on here are really supportive and understanding and just talking about it can help you. Have you been to a pediatrician or child psych? You can also check out or buy books about these disorders and teach yourself about the whys,hows,whos, etc. Keep us posted! 

Name: peej | Date: Oct 14th, 2007 4:11 PM
This sounds exactly like my 7 year old son. He has been diagnosed with ADHD but fits the ODD description exactly. It is very stressful trying to get him to do anything. He screams and yells and says black is white in everything. He hits me and says that I'm mean. I have just taken him off Strattera as it was making this side of his behaviour much worse. He was on Ritalin but that made him emotional and irritable. We are goiong to put him on fish oils, but I'm at my wits end with him. 

Name: tj2728 | Date: Jan 8th, 2008 11:37 PM
i live in uk and have a 14 yr old son who has adhd suspected aspergers and odd and 2 other things that run along side the adhd, he was only diagnosed a few weeks ago althou i knew something wasnt right it took a year of me pushing and pestering all different services to get his assessment. At last he was diagnosed and i felt like a great weight had been lifted. He started strattera, 3 weeks in i took him off because althou it was helping him for the adhd the odd symtoms were becoming incr easingly worse, it made him so aggressive and violent towards everyone, emotional, suicidal thoughts, would stay out all night was completly defiant, it took us back at least a year. his doctor has prescribed concerta which he is supposed to start taking tomorrow but after reading on here the side affects i really am unsure of what to do, it seems to me that althou the meds help alot of kids it also can cause other problems which are equally hard to cope with. we have learnt to manage our sons bad behaviour it has been the hardest thing we have ever had to do and are still learning new things, im wondering now if this is the best way forward rather than using medication, sometimes i feel like giving up because we just get through one thing and another problem starts is there ever going to be an end to this living hell? 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us