Hello, guest
|
Name: mother2five
[ Original Post ]
sometimes when i nurse my baby she sucks and pulls at my nipples and fusses, like shes not getting enough, i breastfeed only so my milk should be fine, how do i know if shes not getting enough at each feeding?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: .atomic snowflake | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 2:12 PM
How old is she? If she's having a growth spurt she may be hungrier than normal and is just a little frustrated. If she's 4 months plus then it may be time to start introducing her onto some baby rice or something. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 2:24 PM
shes 14 weeks 

Name: missmara | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 4:06 PM
Does she do it right at the beginning, or later after she's been nursing for a little bit? 

Name: mother2five | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 4:29 PM
sometimes she nurses just fine and then sometimes at the begining...but if she does that then she starts fussing and i can't even get her to latch on 

Name: mamal | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 4:48 PM
Is it when you eat certain things? DS would do that if I ate mexican.
One of the things a lot of breastfeeding moms have a problem with is telling if there is enough milk. Don't forget that your milk keeps up with the demand. Many moms because they can not see what is actually coming out start supplementing but there is truly no need. As long as your baby is growing normally she is getting enough from your breastmilk. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 5:05 PM
thanks maml 

Name: missmara | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 7:09 PM
The reason I asked if she does it at the beginning is because maybe on those occasions she isn't being patient enough for the letdown. You might try getting your milk started before latching her on so that she doesn't get frustrated while waiting for the milk to flow! Just an idea...she's also getting old enough now to start getting more distracted during feeding times, so maybe - and I know this is hard cause you have other kiddos - find a nice quiet spot and put on some soft music so she can just relax and eat. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 7:17 PM
actually i have noticed that missmara, i know this sounds terrible but while i'm feeding her if i have to fuss at one of the other kids it startles her and she starts to fuss then as well????? 

Name: missmara | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 7:27 PM
Well sure - it's to be expected! The world is suddenly more than just boob and sleeping for her! My friend went throught it and she never had to supplement, she just had to feed her daughter more frequently and for shorter sessions. 

Name: mamal | Date: Apr 3rd, 2007 8:52 PM
If you are having trouble keeping her attention I have heard good things about nursing necklaces. Here is a site to one of the many places that have them.
http://www.mommynecklaces.com/
It was one of those, I wish I knew about this when I was nursing, things for me.
Good Luck! Nursing is such a wonderful time! 

Name: Kattail | Date: Apr 4th, 2007 2:04 PM
I have a simialr problem...but it seems to me that it is like I have too much pressure or milk or something....and she gets sprayed with milk in those first few sucks and it becomes unpleasent for her... at least that is what I have noticed, the nureses at the breastfeeding clinc just seem to think that I have too much milk and want me to try to reduce it, however I can only pump barely enough to feed her round the clock and it seems for me to be the intital spray that turns her off the nipple. And I am not really sure what to do about this except try to let some of the pressure spray off before feeding... worth a try if this sounds like you...
I am not sure about if she is getting enough...This is my first and she is only 2 and a half weeks..... 

Name: mamal | Date: Apr 4th, 2007 2:21 PM
Oversupply is a very common problem that is not necessarily discussed often. This site offers great solutions and help (it has saved many a mommy that I know)
http://www.llli.org
/FAQ/oversupply.html
Also
a nipple shield may help with the flow. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Apr 4th, 2007 4:14 PM
kattail i do that when i have a let down after a long period in between feedings, my daughter doesn't mind that so much, it's more like I'm not making enough milk or something, I'm not sure, but i decided just to reassure myself I'm going to pump a few times to see how much i actually get 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us