Hello, guest
|
Name: T-rabbit
[ Original Post ]
Imagine that you’re taking a leisurely jog through your neighborhood. Suddenly, you hear fierce growling. Before you know it, you’re beset by a pack of snarling dogs. You don’t know how many. You fight for your life, trying to keep your attackers from dragging you to the ground, but you don’t know if you have the strength to outlast them. Miraculously, you’re saved when a passerby drives his car into the wild pack, running them away.

Don’t think this scenario could actually happen? Just ask Susan Putz-Drury. Last June, the 36-year-old Bon Aqua woman lived this nightmare when she was mauled by a pack of six ferocious dogs. She still bears the scars from the 83 stitches and 15 staples it took doctors to seal her wounds. She told the Tennessean that she still vividly remembers the force of their teeth gripping her leg muscles. The owner of the dogs was fined a measly $50.

Or ask James Chapple, a 59-year-old Memphis man attacked by two pit bulls on February 9. A bystander saved Chapple’s life by fighting off the beasts with a piece of pipe—but not before the pit bulls tore off Chapple’s left arm. As of today, Chapple is hospitalized, receiving intensive therapy in an attempt to save his remaining arm.

Or ask the family of Dianna Acklen. Last May, the 60-year-old Franklin County librarian was attacked and killed by vicious dogs while she was taking her daily walk. Investigators estimated the dogs bit her over 300 times. The Franklin County district attorney stated it was the worst thing he had seen in all of his years as a prosecutor.

I could go on with case after case of vicious dogs attacking innocent Tennesseans. Many attacks occur because irresponsible owners allow their dogs to run loose. Reports indicate that over 7,000 Tennesseans needed medical treatment for dog bites in 2005.

As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I have heard testimony from law enforcement officials that convicted felons, barred from possessing firearms, are arming themselves with pit bulls, rottweilers, and other attack dogs as weapons. Gang members, drug dealers, and meth producers are doing the same.

Our current laws are outdated and do not properly address the irresponsible and reckless owners that allow their dogs to run wild. I have introduced a five-bill package in the General Assembly that places responsibility on owners of vicious dogs that do harm to innocent victims.

The bills proposed make common sense changes. Vicious dogs are dangerous weapons on four legs. If someone chooses to own such dogs, they also choose to bear the responsibility for controlling them. No one else should have to suffer through the horror that has been inflicted upon Susan Putz-Drury, James Chapple, Dianna Acklen, and far too many other innocent Tennesseans by vicious dogs running loose. Imagine if you or someone you love were the victim. Wouldn’t you want the dog’s owner held responsible?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: I love my APBT | Date: Mar 16th, 2007 8:29 AM
If anyone has ever read my posts they know what I am all about as far as my dogs go. I do not spend all day online looking for things to do. I am a very busy young professional (if I say actress there are always questions (: ) but my dogs are a huge part of my life and I am always looking to try and educate people about how wonderful this breed can be. Since everyone can not personally stop by and meet my dogs, I feel like I am losing a daily battle with this breeds image. I think the solution is passing some sort of law that mandates who can own this dog. I think there should be a lengthy registration and owner licensing and screening process or just SOMETHING!!!! "Breeders" should be fined!!! I've volunteered at shelters and Pit Bull rescue centers many times and I myself have been scared of certain dogs only because I could sense what these dogs have been through. Dogs that are beaten and starved and trained to kill. Chained to a stake in the front yard. Unloved. I will be the first to admit that most people should not own a pit. They think it's a cool badass dog but they have no idea what responsible care for these dogs means. I think if there is any way in this world to stop these crazy speed freak breeders who are just trying to make a quick buck by selling these dogs to anyone with $100 we can begin to undo the damage. I bet if it was made legally harder to own these dogs it would eliminate alot of the "undesirables" that seek this breed. Nothing would please me more than for the attacks to stop. BUT THIS IS A PEOPLE PROBLEM_ NOT A DOG PROBLEM!!!! 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us