Hello, guest
|
Name: red87
[ Original Post ]
How many of you have gotten your girls' ears pierced??

My daughter is almost 5 months old and at first I waned to wait until she is older to get them done but OMG I saw this little girl the same age as my girl with hers done and it looked SOOOO freakin cute!! So I kind of want to get them done sooner - I'm scared though, I don't want her to go through that but on the other hand she wont remember it and they look sooo pretty lol.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: bmes | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 6:18 AM
I decided to not pierce my daughter's ears until SHE tells me she wants them done. that way it's her OWN fault for inflicting pain on herself. I want no part in it!! ha ha...i can barely handle taking her for her vaccines. ha ha. they are so innocent and trust you FULLY...then i go and pin her down and make a nurse shove a needle in her...i'm such a BITCH!!!! lol...so yeah....that's all i can handle. Anika can make the ear piercing decision all on her own. :-) 

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 3:25 PM
I know! Thats how I feel!! I have cried both times she has gotten her immunizations so I'm not sure that I will be able to handle it. It just look so damn cute - little girls with their ears pierced...so i'm not sure yet if i'm going to het them done... 

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 3:26 PM
you made it sound even worse LOL 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 3:49 PM
If we would of had a girl first she would of gotten her ears pierced.

When i was a kid my parents never did it till i was like 7 by that point i had worked my self up so much about the pain and the fear of it hurting that i almost passed out.. they ended up closing up, and i didn't get mine re done till i was 18, and i was still freaking out when i did it. as stupid as that is, and i have no fear what so ever about needles or any other piercings, just my ears LOL
when ever we do have a girl she will get them done as a baby, i have never heard of a girl who doesn't want here ears pierced or who has regretted her parents decisions later in life. 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 6:04 PM
i decided not to do my daughters ears.... I think it looks absolutely gorgeous... but when izzy was just new the noise of the piercer gun would have terrified her.. Now she dosnt sit stil long enough to get them pierced, so im just gunna wait until shes older and asks for it... I would have loved to do it tho. I guess it just depends what sort of baby you have.... 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 6:05 PM
Also if it were to hurt her id feel so guilty for putting her through that for just some silly piercing that i wanted for her..... 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 6:06 PM
ALSO infection is a biggy... you have to clean it upto 3 times a day and theres no way izzys gunna sit still for that either!! 

Name: bmes | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 6:33 PM
oh yeah i remember the guns they'd use. those were TERRIBLE!!!! and I was so mad at my gramma. i kept yelling "how could you do this to me???????" ha ha...but they don't use those here anymore. they just use those single use needles now. much less painful than the dreadful guns!!! but still...i'm waiting for Anika to make the decision. lol... 

Name: lindalu | Date: Dec 8th, 2008 10:22 PM
I had my daughters done when she was 8 wk's old. The younger the better, by the time they discover they have ears there use to the earrings in there ears and don't bother with them. I don't see its a big deal, I mean look, we here in the states have our new born boys circumcised. I don't know how many have seen that done but it is 100% more pain then a simple pinch to the ear lobe. 

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 12:26 AM
Well thank you all for your replies!

Lindalu - that's how I feel about it as well and really she's gunna get it done sooner or later anyway right? And I HIGHLY doubt at 16, 17, 18 years old she's gunna be like "Mom, i'm soo pissed off at you for getting my ears pierced when I was a baby!" LOL

Of course, I dont want to see her hurt but I think it will be better to do now - she wont remember it and she won't be pulling at her ears like a 4 or 5 year old child who can "ask" for it done can!

It's a personal choice I guess, just like so many others...But thanks again ladies for your replies! 

Name: Lola-May | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 1:26 AM
Never get pierced with a gun!! Seriously, there's no way to properly sterilize them. The risk of infection is higher when getting pierced with a gun as opposed to a needle.

Needles get sterilized in an autoclave which is the only way to make sure they are 100% clean and free of bacteria. 

Name: lummy | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 7:58 AM
dont worrie most peopl get them done when there babys are new born because there not supposed to be able to feel it i got my daughters done when she was 5 months old too she was firn she just did not want the lady to touch her.. 

Name: Lola-May | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 8:27 AM
Of course babies feel pain!!! That's ridiculous!
They don't remember the pain but that's totally different. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 11:10 AM
Mine were pierced when I was 10. If I had a daughter, I'd wait till she's a little older and asked for her ears to be pierced. What if she doesn't want them pierced? I look at this this way. I'm Vegetarian, and I would like Joey to be a Vegetarian too. But I give him meat because HE must make the decision to be Vegetarian regardless of how I feel. I think any decision especially regarding anything which involves piercing a hole in childrens ears must be their choice. But, you're her mam. You choose how you parent your daughter. 

Name: cherisalorraine | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 1:11 PM
I agree with you Gil. Tamyelle is 7 now and she told me that she still doesn't want hers done. She said there is no reason to want to be like every one else and start poking holes in her head for no good reason. I thought it was funny out of a 7 year old. I personally asked for mine to be done when I was three and was made to wait til I was 4 because my birthday was like 3 weeks later. and I was glad as I got older to have been allowed to make that choice. I do not think that mutilating the body for anything other than health reasons should be done with out the permission of said human. With little boys you have the option not to have them circumcised also. And I cant really see any reason for having it done personally even after reading everything I could find about it pros and cons during both of my pregnancies. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 4:41 PM
Zoey I hear ya! All my nieces said to my sister... why didn't you get mine pierced when I was little? Its only a little pinch... there and gone, almost at the same time. Also if they do by chance grow up and not like the piercing they can remove the earrings and let them close. If I was to have another child and it was a girl I would have her ears pierced as well. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 6:48 PM
I'm not comparing the the two. I was just making the point that any decision such as ear piercing, diet etc should be a personal choice in my opinion- I'm not saying they are the same thing, of course they're not; just making the point that I personally feel the child should make the choice, and not the parent wherever possible. I made the choice to have my ears pierced when I was 10, and I'm glad I was able to make the choice without it being made for me. I have several friends who have never had any piercings as they don't like them and view them as multilation of the body, and are glad their parents didn't pierce their ears before they got a say. But like everything. it's a matter of opinion. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 6:54 PM
Anyway, the good thing abut piercings is the skin grows over if you leave the piercing out long enough, like my beloved belly button piercing did when I was pregnant.

Somehow I am going to have to grit my teeth and get the damn piercing done again. :( 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 6:56 PM
Cherisa, your 7 year old sounds so cute. I love kids with cute little opinions of their own like that. Gotta love it. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 7:00 PM
Just while we're on the subject, what do people here think of boys with a pierced ear? 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 7:27 PM
ahahaha Gill... i know exactly what you mean, i was in denial about having to take out my belly piercing... eventually it ripped out by itself as my stomach grew LOL Now i have a big scar.. i should have just taken the bloody thing out... And yes im gunna get mine done again too when ive lost my desired weight... I always get my piercings done half drunk so it dosnt bother me so much... Other times i have gone in to get piercings and they have turned me away cause iv been shaking / white as a ghost and ready to pass out b4 they even do it !!!

Im not too sure about boys piercings... I love it when they are adults hahaha And tattoos... But yeh i dunno, see what the other woman think. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 7:35 PM
We are the parents we choose for our children what we feel is health or what we feel is rite or wrong.

I certainly wouldn't put an ear piercing in the same category as how or what one chooses to feed a child. If I feel that meat is wrong or unhealthy to eat then I will not feed it to my child.... just as if I had a religious belief I would teach them my religious belief. I would not say... I practice Christianity, but I don't want to push my beliefs on my child. Again I wouldn't say...I'll wait until he/she is old enough to decide what religious faith they want to practice. I would rais them with my faith.

We as parents make decisions every day for our child they are not capable of knowing what is rite or wrong or what is healthy or not. Most decisions are purely vanity ones, we decide what style cloths they wear... how long or short there hair will be ....what shampoo they use ...if they wear shoes or sneakers and so on. All being vanity choices not necessity.

Every one knows I don't eat meat and I am not going to make this thread about that, I am however going to say I don't eat meat because I find it unhealthy and cruel to eat. So...if I find it unhealthy or cruel enough not to consume it myself... why would I feed it to my child?

My point being... we all impose our opinions, feelings and beliefs on our children every day with out confiding in them. A simple ear piercing is harmless! it wont cause the child to hate her parent for it. I have seen many people as adults criticize their parent for making them wear as a child a type of clothing or a certain hair cut they didn't like. Never have I ever heard some one complain of an ear piercing. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 8:12 PM
Haha Rosey, I hear ya. I remember the belly button getting done the first time and I'm not looking forward to it being done again. I might just get really drunk and just get Mark to ram the piercing in. Cause I'm sure it's just a few layers of skin over it. And I do so want my bellybutton piercing back in!!! 

Name: cherisalorraine | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 9:24 PM
Gil , You really should at least go and get a taper to run through it if you are going to re do it yourself. It is such a deep piercing that it is actually more dangerous than you think to just shove it back in if it doesn't go willingly. Some people are actually able to put theirs back in with little trouble if it is done within the first 18 months of the removal.

I agree that we as parents tell our children what to and not to do. So I ask when we go punching holes in their heads what are we telling them to go and do? I mean that as a joke for the most part but seriously what does it say to them? Should we really teach them to abuse their skin that early? I have piercings and tats but I would never tell any one else to injure that important organ. I think that it is very hard for us to look at it from the point of view that if we did it then no they are not going to complain because it is all they have ever known but given the chance to make the decision themselves they may feel completely different. 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Dec 9th, 2008 10:55 PM
i pierced my own lip, Drunk when i was turned away from the professionals.. i wanted it done real badly so i did it myself!! 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Dec 10th, 2008 12:34 AM
My memories of it are the guy saying 'I'l count to 4 then I'll push it in' (he had this huge needle thing) and he counted to 2 and pushed it in so I wouldn't be expecting it. Clever really. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Dec 10th, 2008 2:01 AM
Well my kid is quite happy I punched holes in her head when she was a baby. In fact she wishes I had done the whole rim of her ears including the cartilage. How ever.... she was unhappy that I cut her hair to her shoulders and that gave her a complex at the time, making her feel like a boy.

Once they get older understanding what needs to be done to have pierced ears they wont want to have it done. In most cases they really do want earrings, but they will say no for fear of the needle going through the ear. Will it hurt? they ask. They relate it to a needle at the doctors and that makes them nervous.

Every one of my nieces as they got older wished their mums had their ears pierced when they were babies. I am not suggesting every mum run their baby daughter out to get her ears pierced, but I certainly wouldn't suggest by having them pierced it would cause some irreconcilable difference between mum and daughter.

Any way...Red, if you want to have your daughters ears pierced then do so. You can ask your pediatrician to do it, some will. 

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 10th, 2008 4:17 AM
Well, I got it done today!!

I was soooo scared when I finally got to the appointment and I think I had a harder time with it all than Brooke did! She cried for less than a minute, she fusses more with her shots than she did with the piercing. I have a picture of her taken about 10 minutes after it was done and she has the biggest smile on her face lol - they look so good! And she doesn't even notice them!

The piercer said that I was the 6th person in there today getting a babies ears pierced, and Brooke (almost 5 months) was the oldest so that made me feel a lot better!

They even gave her a "Certificate of Bravery" LOL 

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 10th, 2008 4:20 AM
I forgot to mention - my mother got my ears pierced when I was only 3 months old and I had no problem with it so I kind of based my decision on that as well. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Dec 10th, 2008 6:43 AM
I'll bet she is adorable with her little earrings. What kind of studs did you get?

When I had my daughters done she just gave a slight whimper, nothing more. 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Dec 13th, 2008 3:27 AM
LOL about the cert of bravery hahah

Any ways Gill and Rosey, I have my belly pierced too, and when i was pregnant, i took it out at 27 weeks, i waited too long to take it out and it too left a little scar, but its gone now, BUT... i would clean it and slide it back in every couple of days just to ensure it wouldn't close up, my skin likes to close up really fast esp my ears, if i leave earring out for a few days, they try and close. Now my belly is back to its normal shape and my peircing looks good, but i don't think i could re pierce it my self if it were to close all the way back up, LOL

I want to get something else pierced wink wink, but i don't think im brave enough!! LOL

and Rosey I like tattoos too, Chis has 2 one on each arm, and I don't have one yet, but soon hopefully!

ohh and as for boys getting piercings im fine with it, but it depends on the person, I loved it when my brother had both of his pierced but Chris used to have one back in the day when he was a teen, and I cant picture him with one LOL 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us