Hello, guest
|
Name: red87
[ Original Post ]
Okay ladies, I seem to be having quite a few questions lately but anyhoo...

I'm having issues with my 5 month old daughter sleeping...Ever since she was born I have swaddled her at night - well, she grew out of the regular sixed recieving blankets and I was lucky enough to find bigger ones and she has never had an issue. When I lay her down for bed I usually nurse her to sleep (now thinking that is not a good idea but that's what she is used to now) and she is fine until around 4 am when I feed her and then back to bed until 7 (she usually wakes one more time between 4 and 7). But lately she has been fighting the swaddle once I get her situated and nursing her - I don't think she wants to be swaddled anymore but then when I don't swaddle her she doesn't sleep very well (waking about every 2 hours!) sooo...Should I keep her unswaddled altoghether and suck it up? Or should I maybe swaddle her when she wakes during the night? Which is kind of what I've been doing...swaddling her when she wakes up because then she is half asleep and does't fight it....

She is way harder to get to sleep unswaddled. I kind of want her to stop being swaddled anyway. So I guess what I'm asking is, are there anything I could try to make this a bit easier? Keep in mind I let her sleep in my bed aswell. She has always slept with me.

I didn't realize I was forming all these habits but I'm also having trouble with her naps...I have been holding her during her naps - not thinking it was a bug deal until I try to put her down! LOL, she HATES her crib for naps but I'm working on that. I just need help with the night time thing...
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 29th, 2008 4:39 AM
Also people keep telling me to let her cry it out but I just can't seem to do it, I've tried twice and both times only lasted 5-10 mins MAX! I get all scared because I've read stuff on the internet saying how bad it is for them as babies to be left crying.

I would LOVE to be able to just feed her at bedtime, lay her down, give her her pacifier and walk out but lately I have had to just go to sleep with her!! 

Name: bmes | Date: Dec 29th, 2008 5:55 AM
yep this is why i never swaddled or rocked my kids to sleep. of course i held them lots and stuff, but i ALWAYS made sure to lay them down to sleep BEFORE they actually fell asleep. never had a problem. i give them their warm milk, brush their teeth, lay them down down and walk out the door. in 5-10 minutes they are sleeping....same with their afternoon naps.

good luck. hope you find something that works. 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Dec 29th, 2008 7:44 AM
Dont listen to people when they tell you to let them " cry it out " I cannot express enough how cruel it is to make a tiny baby do that.... they only stop crying bwecause they know there mummy isnt going to come and comfort them so they just loose trust and give up !!

I cant really say anything bout the other bit.... Izzy used to be swaddled until she was about 6 months old and then she didnt want a bar of it !! 

Name: bmes | Date: Dec 29th, 2008 4:41 PM
i agree with rosey...to a point. when they are as young as your baby, i too think crying it out is kinda mean. BUT my son is 18 months old and for a while he got into the habit of waking up and wanting to come into our bed, and would cry until we gave in..so, i did let him cry it out....not for long. just five mins at a time, then i'd go back in and comfort him until he calmed down, then i'd leave and if he started crying again i'd wait another 5 mins then go back in...he does this about 1 or 2 times a week, and most of the time he gives up after the first 5 mins. so i think at a certain age, they start to just "play" you, and you can't give in if you're trying to get them to sleep on their own. 

Name: red87 | Date: Dec 29th, 2008 6:53 PM
Yeah, I think the crying it out method is mean as well (for babies). I don't have it in me to listen to her cry when I know all I have to do is pick hr up and she'll stop. Everyone has been telling me to do it but like I said I've tried it twice and couldn't handle it so that's out....

Today we're working on sleeping on her own - she is SO tired right now lol I put her swing in our bedroom (i'm thinking it might get her used to being in that room for naps then I can put her in her crib) She is whinning a bit but no where near crying - I think she's mostly just playing in there lol. Last night I kept hr unswadddled - she woke up quite a few times but Im just gunna stick it out. After I get her in her crib for naps - I'll put her in there at bedtime aswell - one step at a a time :) Although, i don't mind her in bed with me at night, it's kinda more convinient because I breastfeed. But, I think I may as well get her used to the crib at bedtime sooner rather than later.

Wish me luck! So far so good - she's asleep and it's been a LONG time since she has put herself to sleep!! 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us