Hello, guest
|
Name: SpeakingmyMind
[ Original Post ]
My boyfriend and I have 2 children. I am a SAHM and he works. We are young 19 and 20. Selective Service keeps sending him letters that he need to apply or he can go to jail and alot of other consequences. He just said screw it and applied today. I am so scared he will get drafted. What do you think his chances are? I don't know what to do.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: Opheiliamath | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 7:23 PM
Selective Service?
You mean the "Military" are bugging him to sign up? 

Name: mallory | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 7:53 PM
it's selective services yanick, by law you have to register upon turning 18. considering there hasn't been a draft since vietnam and the '08 election coming up, i seriously doubt there will be a draft 

Name: Opheiliamath | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 8:09 PM
Ohhhh.

I guess some people get passed over until they get to them i guess.

I've honestly never heard of cause a thing. My brother is 18 he didn't get anything.

For all states right?

I'ma go look it up now.

Thanks Mallory! 

Name: mallory | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 8:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wi
ki/Selective_Service_Syste
m

Name: jillw | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 9:59 PM
where are you from?? I mean in the us men have to register, but there hasn't been a draft in FOREVER 

Name: Opheiliamath | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 10:00 PM
I don't see a major problem. You shouldn't worry about hun.
Have him register now, and get it over with. I also doubt there will be a draft anytime soon. 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 10:11 PM
The United States abandoned the draft in 1973 under President Richard Nixon, ended the Selective Service registration requirement in 1975 under President Gerald Ford, and then re-instated the Selective Service registration requirement in 1980 under President Jimmy Carter.

Today the Selective Service System remains as a contingency, should a military draft be re-introduced.[3]

Under current law, all male U.S. citizens are required to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Certain male aliens residing in the U.S., including those present illegally, are also required to register if they are between 18 and 26 years of age. "Willful" failure or refusal to present oneself for registration is against the law.[4][5]

In 1980, young men who knew they were required to register and did not do so, could face up to five years in jail or a fine up to $50,000 if convicted. The potential fine was later increased to $250,000. Despite these possible penalties, government records indicate that from 1980 through 1986 there were only 20 indictments, of which 19 were instigated in part by self-publicized and self-reported non-registration.[6] As one of the elements of the offense, the government must prove that a violation of the Military Selective Service Act was knowing and willful. This is almost impossible unless the prospective defendant has publicly stated that he knew he was required to register or report for induction, or unless he has been visited by the FBI, personally served with notice to register or report for induction, and given another chance to comply. The last prosecution for non-registration was in January 1986, after which many believed the government declined to continue prosecutions when it became apparent that the trials were themselves causing a decline in registration. Unlike the situation at the time when the draft was in effect, routine checks for id virtually never include a request for draft card. 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 10:11 PM
does he have brothers??? 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Oct 4th, 2007 10:14 PM
and they wont do a draft, because if they did, they would loose more soldiers, because they wouldnt know what they are doing. i would rather fight next to some one who wants to be there rather than some one who is forced to be there 

Name: FatallyYours | Date: Oct 5th, 2007 5:59 AM
touche. i joined at 18 i tried joining at 16 bc i was done with school but my parents wouldnt sign for me. 

Name: SpeakingmyMind | Date: Oct 5th, 2007 11:34 PM
I was just real nervous. He just has a younger brother. I really didn't know how all this worked. Thanks for easing my mind. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us