Hello, guest
|
Name: SaRaH
[ Original Post ]
Are you allowed to give your baby water in a bottle?

I got told from my nurses here i wasnt allowed to give my son anything but breast milk or formula...no water or juice.

He is just freaking out right now and wont settle and ive already given him 2x bottles of formula in the last 4 hours.....

And its hot here..so? Yes or no to water
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:08 AM
oooohhhh woooe is me.....you dont believe me...shame on you!!! 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:09 AM
dont answer her atomic....go with the force my child it will show you the way 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:09 AM
feel the vibe....its all in the vibe 

Name: SaRaH | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:22 AM
lol you moron, i posted this BEFORE you said for SURE it was ok..scheech 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:34 AM
Yes, I think you can give them sips of water. Not very much though. I don't know what the recommendations are.

Do a Google search on giving newborns water and see what comes up. 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:36 AM
bump 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:37 AM
Do you use pacifiers?

If he's hot then give him a tepid bath and just leave him with a nappy on afterwards.

Put a fan on in the room if you have one and it's also worth buying one of those room cooler things - I have one that I add water or ice-cubes to and it blows chilled air about the place. 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:38 AM
I dunno Marija......I'm sure that I read somewhere that you're not supposed to.......something to do with the kidneys. I gave my son Fennel Tea when he was a newborn as he had really bad colic - he was okay. 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:40 AM
My midwifery placement during training was really bad. My first mentor had to leave and I was assigned to this really EVIL MIDWIFE who made my life hell by giving me stupid jobs to do like cleaning the treatment room!!!!! She was a real sadist and didn't teach me anything!!!!!!!!!

Most of what I've learnt is from the first midwife and through being a mum myself!

Oh, that and good old Google!!!!!!!! *LOL* 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:44 AM
oh-my-god....i just googled and its NOT good for babies...breastmilk is enough or formula...but only if your giving it as a substitute...its ok if it is given additionally..on top of normal intake...otherwise it can dilute the breastmilk or formula too much and wash away needed sodium.
So the doctor here was right to recommend it on top of the formula / breastmilk on hot days.
feel better now... 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:46 AM
Right. So, she should strip him off and give the tepid bath and put the fan on.

Pacifiers are also very good for settling them - sometimes they just need something to suck on for comfort (hey, don't we all ?*LOL*) 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:47 AM
Lavender essential oil added to bathwater (just a few drops) is also good for settling them. 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:48 AM
to be quite honest with you...the midwife i had was past her expiry date....she needed a bedpan thrown at her...couldnt get past the male nurse either....no one else had a prob with him ...except of course me...i told him to go out and put a white coat on then he can look at me....plus i just outrightly laughed when he told me if i needed help breastfeeding....LOL 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:49 AM
*asked not told 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:49 AM
male midwife???? Eeeewwwww..........no thank you! Nobody male gets their hands on my boobies!!!!!!! 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:51 AM
apart from my son when he was a baby........and, on a GOOD day, my husband!!!!!!!!! *LOL* 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:51 AM
As for the pacifier thing....i was a thumbsucker until i was ten...i only gave it up because i started a new school and they were teasing a little 5yo for sucking her thumb...i wanted to cry...LOL 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:51 AM
I think SaRaH has gone now. I don't know whether she's getting all this. 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:52 AM
I sucked my thumb 'til I was 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:52 AM
But I hid it very well! *LOL* 

Name: marija | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:53 AM
theyre more abundant now....but i didnt like them in the maternity ward....i think the guy tried to act gay too...which just creeped me out more!!! 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:54 AM
Oh no!

I worked with a gay male nursing assistant once and he used to follow the nurses around on the Male Surgical Ward if any of the patients needed an enema. He liked to watch! I don't mind gay people, but that was TOOO much and it really p*ssed me off. 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:56 AM
We also had this old guy in once who had a 9 inch carrot stuck up his rectum. He had to go to theatre to have it removed and they sent the damn thing back to the ward in a plastic specimen bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were all in the treatment room cracked up laughing!!!!!!!!! 

Name: SaRaH | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:56 AM
what the hell.......so no to water then 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:57 AM
Apparently not, but I don't think a few sips will do any harm.

Have you stripped him off? Do you have any pacifiers? 

Name: SaRaH | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:57 AM
he is drinking so much it redicoulas....and yes i gave him a bath and he is only iin a singlet and nappy 

Name: SaRaH | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:58 AM
he will just spit them out 

Name: SaRaH | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:59 AM
ive got him on the breast now..that has him calm - for the moment 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 10:59 AM
Breastmilk contains a proportion of thirst-quenching foremilk before the hindmilk comes in after a few minutes. This is the one that provides the nutrition. 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 11:01 AM
Try to persevere with the pacifiers. I know a lot of people don't like them, but they are soooo useful to get babies to settle and give them some comfort AND they help to prevent SIDS.

I hated pacifiers years ago, but I tried them out of desperation one day and it worked. Try popping it back in if he spits it out. If he doesn't like it point-blank then fair enough, but try if you can as they are useful. 

Name: SaRaH | Date: Jan 7th, 2007 11:02 AM
just that he has been awake for the last 7 hours.....the last 3 hours he has been screaming 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us