Hello, guest
Name: Yawmom
[ Original Post ]
I'm not sure if any of you are aware of it but the government has a law that requires schools to adapt to a child with disablilities to give them an edge so to speak.
It's called the 504 plan and I had to find out the hard way. Look it up on the net. It's very helpful.
You can (within limiits) set requirements for the school to follow to help your child with his education.
For instance ADD kids can read their assignment but since they are focused on the reading they miss the message--so you can have it so that they get oral testing rather than the written ones.
You can request that they have more tiime to hand in their assignments, or even better do 1/2 or 3/4 of it--they need to learn the concept of the assignment not the competion of the problmes.
Please read up on this, it sure helped us!
Your Name


Your Reply here

Name: billy22 | Date: Nov 30th, 2006 5:22 AM
YEP! Isn't it great! My son has been on a 504 for 2 years now, but it doesnt always work with the teachers so you have to make sure you are in contact w/ the school ALL THE TIME! Check in on his progress weekly and if he is having trouble still, call a meeting together and adjust it again. We actually are in the process of havign our son tested for special ed services which will really give him ALL the help he needs!:) 

Name: RJB | Date: Feb 1st, 2007 4:26 AM
504 plans are not binding, if the teacher is unwilling to follow it then there is nothing you can do about it. An IEP is much better because it is enforceable at the Federal level. IF a teacher does not follow the IIEP she can be sued along with the school district. I live in OH and there was a case when a teacher was sued personally and was given a judgement for 10k for ignoring the Istudent's IEP. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us